IC Passenger House
The Illinois Central Passenger House standing behind the Burlington passenger train was built by ICRR in 1854. It lasted only until 1885 when it burned to the ground due to a kerosne lantern inside. The Illinois Central passenger trains came in on the other (west) side of the depot. This view is looking Northwest. The Illinois Central Freight house which still stands can be seen at the far left of the picture near the locomotives headlamp and smoke stack. The freight house was also built about 1854.
This is possibly the oldest train picture the museum has of this area, taken between 1870 and 1880. Notice the ancient harp switch stand in the foreground.
Return to index of pictures
Return to Union Depot Railroad Museum page
Return to MMHS home page