Dr. Letitia A. Westgate was born, at her families' home, in Mendota, IL, on October 29, 1866. She graduated from Mendota High School in 1885. After graduating from Knox College in Galesburg, IL, she went on to receive a medical degree from Northwestern Medical School in Chicago, Illinois in 1892.
She built the first hospital in DeKalb County. It was named the Sycamore Surgical Hospital and was located in Sycamore, IL.
Dr. Westgate retired as a medical doctor and became a city chemist in Aurora. She retired to the place of her birth, known as Pleasant View, in 1930. This residence is now owned by Lynn Dewey and is located in Ophir Township.
Dr. Westgate died on September 30, 1945 and is buried in the Westgate private cemetery.