It originally was assigned to the CB&Q Galesburg division and was carried on active assignment as late as 1961. The #4978 display was donated by the CB&Q Railroad to the LaSalle County Historical Society, May 1965.
The light Mikado-type locomotive with 2-8-2 wheel design was built in 1923 at Baldwin Locomotive works, Eddystone, Pennsylvania yards. The tender held 19 tons of coal and 10,000 gallons of water. Waycar #14451 was built in the Burlington’s Aurora shops in 1911.
To learn more about the CB&Q Railroad, check out the
Burlington Route Historical Society